Friday, April 6, 2012

Turkey days 4-6

Our first day out of Istanbul, we headed down the coast and took a short ferry ride to Canakkale. The archaeological site of Troy is about 22km below Canakkale. We drive to the site first, then back up to our hotel in Canakkale.

Troy is breathtaking. There is a huge replica wooden Trojan horse on site that we went up into, while Milan took our pictures from below. Then we walked arounf the site and marveled at its ancient feel. Its not the best preserved, but the stories behind it make up for all of that.

Canakkale is beautiful. We were very glad we stopped. We stayed in a little Ottoman period hotel called Kervansaray hotel. Their sultan suite was cute, and four small levels. The stairs were quite steep to the third level and the little guy needed some help traversing them. While I liked this hotel , I had two complaints. The first was the mains electricity box was right outside our door and kept clicking on and off all night. I'm a light sleeper to start with, so this woke me up a number of times. The second was the temperature of the water was either frigid or scalding, so it was a pain to shower the kids at night and myself in the morning.

Canakkale was a picturesque town, with a lovely walking shopping district and good food. We ate at a traditionsl turkish restaurant for dinner and the food was fabulous.

The next day we drove down to Selcuk where we stayed at the Richmond Ephesus resort hotel. The kids were happy because it had a swimming pool and a playground. It also was on the beach. Our drive from Canakkale to Selcuk took us through Pergamon (Bergama) one of the many, many ancient cities that lie on this land.

Pergamon housed the second largest library in ancient times, second only to Alexandria. The city is accesible by driving or by sky lift. We drove up, and the kids and I raced Milan down the mountain by sky lift. We all arrived at about the same time.

When we drove the rest of the way to Selcuk, the kids were eager to stretch their legs and play, so into their swim suits they went for a splash in the outdoor pool, followed by a turn in the indoor pool. Then we ate dinner, which was included in our stay. They had a huge buffet, with chefs making fresh food as well on the outside terrace. The food was superb, and we ate well!

The next morning, we were up early and the kids played on the playground and beach for a while after breakfast. Then we drove the short distance to Ephesus, where we took a horse drawn carriage to the upper side, and hired a guide to walk us through the site down to the bottom. This coty is amazingly well preserved, and housed the third largest library of ancient times. We even saw public latrines, (ancient ones) which was interesting to say the least! The amphitheater was intruiging, to know that St. Paul had given speaches there, and I finally put two and two together and realized that in the Bible when they talk of the Ephesians, THESE were the people rhey were talking about! Whst history there was here; if only the grounf could talk!

From here we drove the 7 km up the mountains to the serenly peaceful Virgin Mary's house. Here I lit candles for all my deceased relatives and said a prayer for God to watch over their souls. I'm not superbly religious, but I get overcome in places like this, and I think this was the first time my children had seen me pray.

In the afternoon we drove to Pumukkale. We expected this to be thermal springs only. The guidebook told us that there was a necropolis nearby, but oh my! This place was amazing! The necropolis was insanely extensive. Sadly it had all been pillaged, but many tombs remained intact, if devoid of occupants. There is a large amphitheatre there, and huge gates. Our daughter and I walked down into the travertines to the warm blue waters, and we got some fabulous pictures from that angle to. At the gates, there was a mommy stray dog and three adorable puppies. The kids stopped to play with them for a while, and had a blast.

We stayed the night in town at Hotel Apswana. The hotel was a little difficult to find, but worth it. Not for the room, but for the amazingly warm hospitality showed by the owner and his wife. She made us home made Turkish food that was delicious, and he kept bringing us blankets and such to help make our stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel was clean and comfortable, and the room had an attached bath with a cute little seated bathtub in it. It wad the first shower in two days where the water didnt fluctuate wildly on me! Thumbs up!

Day six had us up for breakfast and out of our hotel fairly early. We were trying to make to back to Istanbul for saturday night and figured we woul half the trip each of two days, as it was an 8 or 9 hour drive. We tried to stop in the Kaklik caves that are supposed to be like little pumukkale and have stalagtotes and stalagmites, but it was closed for renovation. We did stop several times along the way to checkout the ceramic and porcelain shops and to eat lunch. In the end we drove all the way to Iznik where we are staying at the Camlik hotel. The room is nice, and is similar to the Richmond hoyel in Ephesus in that there are bunkbeds for the children.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usefսl infoгmation. Fortunate me I found your site accidentalⅼy, and I am ѕtunned why this
accident did not happened earlieг! I booқmarked it.


cⅼick for more inf᧐ : How To Lock Files And Influence People

Anonymous said...

Excellent Ьlog rigһt here! Ꭺlso your web site
loads up fast! What web hοst are you the usage
of? Can Ι get your associate link on yߋur host?
I want my website loaded uр as quickly as yours ⅼοl
my sources : Top Encrypti᧐n Softwarе Choices & H᧐w To
Hօw To Encrypt A Password For Free

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! We will be linking to this great content on our website.
Keep up the good writing.

Anonymous said...

Hi to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is
getting more from this website, and your views are nice in support of new people.

Anonymous said...

You're so interesting! I don't suppose I've
truly read through a single thing like this before.

So great to discover somebody with some original thoughts on this subject matter.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
This website is something that is required on the internet, someone with some originality!

Anonymous said...

What's up everyone, it's my first go to see at this web site, and piece of writing is actually fruitful designed for me,
keep up posting these types of articles.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring
a blog article or vice-versa? My site covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I
feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you're interested feel free to send me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful
blog by the way!

Anonymous said...

What's up mates, nice post and pleasant arguments commented at
this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

Anonymous said...

This site really has all of the information and facts I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Anonymous said...

Hmm it appears like your website ate my first
comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what
I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing.

Do you have any tips and hints for novice blog writers?
I'd definitely appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing,
great written and come with almost all important infos.
I would like to look more posts like this .

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm
looking at options for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Anonymous said...

I've been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of space .

Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this information So i'm glad to exhibit that I've an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon just what I
needed. I so much for sure will make sure to don?t
omit this web site and provides it a glance regularly.

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing online greater than three hours lately, yet I by no means found any attention-grabbing
article like yours. It's beautiful worth sufficient for me.
Personally, if all web owners and bloggers
made good content as you did, the internet can be a lot more helpful than ever before.

Anonymous said...

I take pleasure in, cause I discovered exactly what I
was looking for. You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
Bye

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web page, as i wish for enjoyment, as this this
website conations really good funny stuff too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! We will be linking to this great article
on our website. Keep up the great writing.